4 Jan 2015

A Very Late Christmas Post

'Twas the season to be jolly, fire were lit and turkeys stuffed. Like most people I wasn't so jolly as I ran from shop to shop trying to buy presents for everyone in between long shifts at work and everlasting uni work in preparation for the new term.



I'm sure most university students can empathise with me here or maybe it's just me. But it seems to me that university teachers cram in as many assignments as possible right before the holidays meaning that before you can sit back and enjoy the lead up to Christmas, hours and hours must be spent in the library ensuring that deadlines have been met. This is how I spent the beginning of my December. Not fun. But after one of these long library sessions, on the long drive home I spotted a cute phone box library which I probably would never have noticed had it not been dressed in twinkly fairy lights. 


After those dreaded deadlines had passed it was time to sit back and enjoy Christmas. Term ended at the perfect time as the first weekend I had off it was the Clifton Suspension Bridge's 150th anniversary. They had a huge fireworks display to celebrate. It was truly spectacular and a fantastic way to end first term. 



This was followed by a meal at Pizza Express in order to warm up after being outside in the freezing cold for 20 minutes. I opted for a white wine risotto followed by the most epic cheesecake I have ever tasted. Honeycomb with a salted caramel base, thinking about it is making me salivate. 


One of the best things about working in Bristol during Christmas are the German markets. I met up with Charlie after work for my first trip of the year to the markets. I have fallen in love with their Bailey's hot chocolate, the perfect beverage after a long shift on a cold day.  


How can you say no to a date night with this face?!


Whilst all this was happening, Christmas somehow had crept right up onto our doorstep! And somehow (thankfully) all my presents were wrapped on time. 


Every family has their Christmas traditions and ours is still in tact. Little J and I wake up and unwrap our stocking presents as quickly as possible, in order to get to church on time. Church is then followed by a smoked salmon and toast breakfast (with champagne of course). 




To humour Dad we always make the time for a quick trip to the pub so he can satisfy his need for a pint and a chat with his friends. Then... at last... we walk through our front door to the aromatic smell of turkey, roast potatoes, stuffing and pigs in blankets. The best smell EVER!




A festive Archie in front of the Christmas tree...


After our epic Christmas dinner, it was time to open the rest of our presents, sit back and watch the usual Christmas TV. 





It was a spectacular Christmas, well deserved after the whole of my family have worked particularly hard this year. I hope your Christmas was just as magic as mine was!

Love, S x

No comments:

Post a Comment