15 Feb 2015

Backyard Adventures 1, Cheddar.

I am a country girl, always have been and probably always will be. I live in the heart of Somerset amidst with the cows, sheep and tractors. So I am going to take you on a tour to the sights around my home, for the next couple of weeks I thought I'd write a series of beautiful places in England that you (yes, you) have to visit.




I like to think that I'm well travelled enough that I can safely say I have met a lot of people from all over the world. Lots of amazing, cultured people. Yet when it comes to England, it seems to me that many people out of Europe don't know really know anywhere in England except... well... London.


Okay maybe that's an exaggeration. A couple of people have heard of Manchester too thanks to football. And yes, both these places (especially London read about my trips here, here and here) have many amazing things to offer. But what many people don't know is how many other spectacular sights England has to offer.

Starting with my school town, Cheddar.


Throwing it back to 2010! And yes, Cheddar like the cheese, it's where the cheese comes from!

Anyway, back on track! like I said in my Valentine's Day Gift Guide, I am not a valentine's person. So rather than a traditional romantic meal. Charlie and I decided to take a walk up Cheddar Gorge, giving me the perfect opportunities to take some pictures for the beginning of my Backyard Adventures series.


There are two walks you can take, one which leads up a very muddy, very slippery path with not much satisfaction at the top, naturally we took this one first.


^^ Charlie's concentration face was hilarious as he tried to control the dog as we headed towards the main road.

 Then  the second walk is the one I would recommend which has a much nicer path and a truly stunning view from the top.


It really is amazing, standing at the top, overlooking Cheddar and the gorge thinking that this started forming over a million years ago.


At nearly 400 feet deep and 3 miles long, Cheddar Gorge is England's largest gorge. The melting glaciers created a river which is now known as the Cheddar Yeo, which gradually made it's way underground, forming the Cheddar caves.

credit to http://www.miltonshotel.com/cheddar-caves/

The caves are amazing. I visited once back in 2009 when I was 14 and I still remember the experience so clearly. The caves are fascinating and most definitely worth a visit if you're ever in Cheddar.

A short 5 minute drive away from the gorge is the reservoir. The reservoir is significantly less historic than the gorge but it's still a really pretty walk or run and occasionally you can watch a sailing race.



Another reason to visit Cheddar? Well, inevitably they sell the best cheddar cheese in the world and some pretty good cider too.



Walking back down the gorge there are plenty of cafes and tea shops where you can buy a cream tea or English breakfast to re energise after that 5 mile walk.




If I'm being honest, even people in England don't know it exists. I persuaded a few of my girlfriends to come down to Cheddar for an exploring day and of course, they loved it!



So if you're ever in England and want to venture out of London, I would definitely recommend paying a visit to Cheddar! If you're ever around and want a tour guide, I'm more than happy to meet up and show you the highlights of Cheddar! 

See you next time,

S x 

No comments:

Post a Comment