5 Oct 2014

The Highlights of Thailand

I don't even know where to begin. With a 3 hour boat, 3 hours waiting, 9 hours on a bus, 24 hours in Bangkok, a 4 hour flight followed by a 9 hour flight, it's safe to say the journey home wasn't for the faint hearted and I had a lot of time to reflect about my adventure in Thailand. The past 6 weeks has been one hell of a rollercoaster. Overwhelming, hectic, crazy, mind boggling, the list goes on and on. From being at peace with the elephants in Chiang Mai to being drowned in Bali to weaving manically through the roads of Bangkok in a tuk tuk. I learnt a lot about myself this trip and whilst for some of it I wanted nothing more than my own bed and an English breakfast, I wouldn't change one thing about my experience. For any of you going to Thailand or planning to go to Thailand, here are my best bits. Trust me, all of these are a must!





Sky Bar

A view has never taken my breath away, not even the view from the Empire State Building. But the view from the Lebua Hotel is truly spectacular. Drinks work out to be an outrageous £10 a beer but you don't have to pay for entry so I managed to justify it to myself.







The Floating Markets


I have never and don't think I will ever again, see anything like the floating markets! It's incredible! The smell of the food, the clashing colours, the friendly faces, or the aggressive faces when you don't buy anything. It's pretty far out of Bangkok, but it is 100% worth it!



Elephant Nature Reserve

We opted for the Elephant Nature Reserve because we knew it was cruelty free. Although you don't get to ride the elephants, you still get contact time through washing and feeding them. Being so close to these majestic creatures is truly amazing but all of the elephants kept in the nature reserve have a tragic history and their stories are truly heartbreaking. Before you consider an elephant ride, come here first, I promise it is worth every penny.




Ko Phi Phi

Ko Phi Phi was easily my favourite island.  In Ko Phi Phi, you get the best of both worlds. There are extreme sports/activities to keep you entertained during the day, a stretch of beautiful beaches if you just want to tan and recover your weary head. But then at night, the whole place comes alive and almost becomes unrecognisable. Balls of fire flashing everywhere, naked people sprawled on the beach, people dancing and laughing everywhere. The atmosphere is just incredible. There is something for everyone in Ko Phi Phi!


Wat Plai Laem Temples

After seeing hundreds of temples in Bangkok, I was dubious as to whether I wanted to see more but these were easily the best temples I visited. On arrival, I was completely amazed to find that the temples were so serene and quiet, maybe only 20 people in sight, the complete opposite to the ones we saw in Bangkok which were packed with tourists. Not that this is a complaint because I got some of my favourite photos of the trip here! The statues are so eccentric and the vibrant colours clashed brilliantly against the blue sky. They are truly spectacular and not a sight you want to miss!



The Full Moon Party

Finally... The Full Moon Party! I'm not a massive drinker and haven't been for a while, but when in Thailand, you can't not go to the Full Moon Party! This is maybe one of the most surreal events I have ever attended. Hundreds of people on different platforms spread along the beach dancing with strangers, having the time of their lives. The power constantly cuts in and out, the crowd roared every time the power came back on! Unfortunately Tierney's drink had been spiked and I had to take her home but my fleeting encounter with the Full Moon Party was more than enough to satisfy my craving for a night out. 



The best parts of my adventure in a nutshell. Thailand is epic and most definitely worth a visit! Maybe spend a little less time than I did, as I was starting to feel that 5 weeks was too much in Thailand as a lot of the things you do are very similar. But I had the best time with my best friend and couldn't have had a better experience! :)

Seeee ya next time!

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment