6 Jun 2014

A Goodbye Surfing Trip.


With this fella hopefully going off to America this Saturday (all depending on the arrival of his CRB check), I took a couple of days out of my soon-to-be hectic schedule to have a few days surfing in Woolacombe with Charlie.





After a night out saying goodbye to two special work friends, we headed back to my house the following morning to quickly pack a weekend bag before heading to Southampton to take Charlie's boxed up room back to a storage box in Winscombe.


 The next morning we woke up early to get the remains of Charlie's room into my little Honda Jazz and to pick up his passport and visa from the DX Depot. After much confusion, grumbling and borderline giving up we finally found the place where Charlie's passport had been held hostage and Charlie came running out waving his passport and visa in the air.


After 3 hours of driving and 174 miles, I was exhausted and wanted a nap. Charlie on the other hand was bouncing like a child ready to dive into the ocean. We were lucky enough to have free accommodation, courtesy of Charlie's best friend. The apartment was located minutes away from the beach and also came with a shed full of surfboards.



I haven't surfed in nine months and it's safe to say I was not feeling so confident, especially as Charlie and his brother Jack are so good. A couple surfing hours later, we got changed into dry clothes and went to find fish and chips.



Charlie decided that the surf was too good to miss out on and headed out with Jack again for an evening/night surf. Jack's friend and I, decided to skip getting into the wet wetsuit (anyone who has done this will know how painful it is) and took the opportunity to watch instead. An hour later we were back in the warm apartment watching 'Revenge' and followed by (much to my disgust) 'Made in Chelsea', with snacks we had picked up from Londis.


The next day we were up at 10, ready to demolish an English breakfast at 'The Captain's Table'. Portions are huge and prices are reasonable. Definitely what you need before a day of surfing.

credit to http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g551703-d2232132-r208484208-The_Captains_Table-Woolacombe_Devon_England.html#UR208484208


We were meeting Charlie's Dad back in Somerset at six. So we had to leave Woolacombe by four latest to be back on time. After Charlie cleaned and said goodbye to his beloved surfboard, we started the two hour journey back home, grabbing an ice cream and McDonald's on the way back.


It was a good way to say goodbye, doing something we both love before he starts a three month adventure in the USA. I have no doubt he'll have an amazing time. We say our final goodbyes this Friday and I am already more than excited to hear about all his adventures when he comes back in September. So many people have asked me whether I'm nervous about what will happen when he leaves and how I will cope, but honestly I think it will be fine. After all, distance makes the heart grow fonder.

 - S

1 comment:

  1. It's quite interesting to see your posts, I'm also a student, well, about to finish though. Been to some different countries but England, so it's always on the top of my list. Planning to go there within this year :D
    Good luck with the studies :)

    Here is my blog, have a look if you are interested :)
    http://www.bigempty14.com


    ReplyDelete